The name Shirodhara comes from the Sanskrit words ‘shiro’, meaning head, and ‘dhara’, the continuous flow of a liquid.
Ayurveda considers the center of the forehead–or third eye–the seat of human consciousness, spirituality and healing. During Shirodhara, a state of pure silence and calmness is achieved, creating optimal flow of energy throughout the body, and a heightened internal awareness in the mind. As the gentle stream of warm herbal oil flows on the forehead, rhythmically moving over the third eye the therapeutic oils flow over the scalp and through the hair, transporting you into a blissful state of relaxation, triggering a self-healing response. The “third eye”, the anatomical point connected to the pineal, pituitary, and hypothalamus glands (responsible for hormonal secretions which regulate digestion, elimination, breathing, and our emotions) is soothed by the gentle and steady flow of the oil, allowing your body to release stress and restore balance.
Clients who receive this therapy often feel as if they are floating in a sea of tranquility, where mind, body and spirit are purified while anxieties, fears, worries, exhaustion, sadness or anger wash away. The skin regains a natural glow and youthfulness with softened stress and worry lines. Sleep becomes deep and restful; hair recovers its luster and strength; and hormones are balanced by the stimulation to the pituitary and pineal glands of the endocrine system. You will emerge feeling blissful, with a heightened state of awareness and newfound sense of peace and happiness.
Shirodhara is used to treat:
• Conditions related to the head, neck, eyes, ears, and nose
• Memory Loss
• Hearing impairment
Benefits of Shirodhara include:
• Profoundly relaxing and calming to the nervous system and settling to the mind
• Stimulates intuitive wisdom
• Improves circulation in the head, neck, and face
• Stimulates the 3rd eye and crown chakras, and awakens intuition and inner wisdom
• Relieves stress, anxiety, depression, and insomnia through natural serotonin, dopamine, and melatonin release
• Helps mental focus and concentration
• Balances VATA DOSHA
• Works on the cerebral system, helps to relax the nervous system, and balances the ‘Praan Vaayu’ (life force energy) around the head
• Improves the sensitivity of five senses
• Reduces and relieves migraine headaches
• Decreases hair loss and fatigue and makes one calm and refreshed
• Releases negative emotions and thought patterns.
• Improves sleep patterns
• Rejuvenates the entire face and softens worry lines
• Heightens the senses
• Increases spiritual awareness
• Pacifies Vata, reducing anxiety, restlessness, irritability, nervousness, fear & excessive thinking
• Improves mental focus and concentration.